The LG V40 ThinQ is the first phone in the world that allows you take an ultra wide-angle shot or zoom in, thanks to the three cameras on its back. From the 107° ultra-wide lens, through the 78° main lens to the 45° telephoto lens, the new flagship covers 3x worth of optical zoom (the lenses are 16-25-50mm in 35mm equivalent).
The main camera comes with a 12MP sensor with 1.4µm pixels, significantly larger than the 1.0µm pixels of the LG G7 and V35. It comes paired with a brighter f/1.5 lens and Optical Image Stabilization, so low-light performance should be much improved. This is the first LG camera to offer Dual Pixel autofocus.
The other two cameras on the LG V40 ThinQ allow you to take an all-encompassing shot or zoom in closer. The latter is handled by the 12MP tele camera with f/2.4 lens. The 16MP ultra wide-angle module has been borrowed from the G7.
All three rear cameras feature digital image stabilization for video along with HDR recording. The top video capture mode is 4K at 60fps and there’s a 1080p at 240fps mode for cool slow-mo shots.
Also, you can take a photo with all three cameras (almost) simultaneously with the Triple Shot feature, which will create a video or a GIF out of the three images. There’s naturally an AI engine that will help you compose your shot. It recognizes people in the frame and will guide to a perfect “rule of thirds” composition.
While the V40’s core is its camera, it has much more going for it. With the 6.4-inches FullVision display, the V-series has regained its size advantage over the G-series. It’s a QHD+ OLED panel with HDR10 support and a 19.5:9 aspect ratio. And it has a notch.
Inside is the dual selfie camera – 8MP (f/1.9, 80°) plus 5MP (f/2.4, 90°).
The V40 runs Android 8.1 Oreo (with LG’s custom launcher on top) on a Snapdragon 845 chipset with 6GB of RAM. There’s a single storage option: 64GB. The good news is that LG is keeping the microSD slot alive.
The battery capacity is 3,300mAh, on the small side in this class. But the V40 supports fast wireless charging, a first for LG. The wired option is QuickCharge 3.0.
Checkout the full specs, features, availability and price of LG V40 ThinQ below.
LG V40 ThinQ Specifications
- 2G: GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
- 3G: HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1700(AWS) / 1800 / 1900 / 2100
- 4G: LTE
- Data Speed: HSPA 42.2/5.76 Mbps, LTE-A (4CA) Cat16 1024/150 Mbps
SIM Type & Count
- Android 8.1 (Oreo) / LG UX 7.0+
Design & Build
- Dimensions: 158.8 x 75.7 x 7.6 mm
- Weight: 169 g
- Build: Front/back glass (Gorilla Glass 5), aluminum frame
- Colours: New Aurora Black, New Moroccan Blue
- IP68 dust/water proof (up to 1.5m for 30 mins)
- MIL-STD-810G compliant
- Type: P-OLED capacitive touchscreen, 16M colors
- Size: 6.4 inches, 92.7 cm2 (~77.1% screen-to-body ratio)
- Resolution: 1440 x 3120 pixels, 18:9 ratio (~537 ppi density)
- Multitouch: Yes
- Protection: Corning Gorilla Glass 5
- Dolby Vision/HDR10 compliant
- Always-on display
Hardware & Memory
- Chipset: Qualcomm SDM845 Snapdragon 845
- CPU: Octa-core (4×2.7 GHz Kryo 385 Gold & 4×1.7 GHz Kryo 385 Silver)
- GPU: Adreno 630
- RAM: 6 GB
- Internal Storage: 64 GB
- External Storage: microSD, up to 512 GB (dedicated slot)
- Main Camera
- Triple: 12 MP, 27mm (standard), f/1.5, 1.4µm, 3-axis OIS, PDAF & laser AF +16 MP, 16mm (ultrawide), f/1.9, 1.0µm, no AF + 12 MP, 52mm (telephoto), f/2.4, 1.0µm, 2x optical zoom, OIS, PDAF
- Features: LED flash, HDR, panorama
- Video: 2160p@30/60fps, 1080p@30/60/240fps, 24-bit/192kHz stereo sound rec., HDR video, gyro-EIS
- Front-facing Camera
- Dual: 8 MP, 26mm (standard), f/1.9, 1.4µm + 5 MP, 21mm (wide), f/2.2, 1.4µm
- Features: HDR
- Music Support: MP3/WAV/FLAC/eAAC+/WMA player
- Video Support: MP4/DviX/XviD/H.265/WMV player
- FM Radio: Stereo FM radio with RDS
- Loudspeaker: Yes
- 5mm jack: Yes
- 32-bit/192kHz audio
- B&O Play certified
- 24-bit/48kHz audio recording
- Active noise cancellation with dedicated mic
- DTS: X Surround Sound
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct, DLNA, hotspot
- Bluetooth: 5.0, A2DP, LE, aptX HD
- GPS: Yes, with A-GPS, GLONASS, GALILEO
- NFC: Yes
- USB: 3.1, Type-C 1.0 reversible connector
- Sensors: Fingerprint (rear-mounted), accelerometer, gyro, proximity, compass, barometer, color spectrum
- Messaging: SMS (threaded view), MMS, Email, Push Email, IM
- Browser: HTML5
- Photo/video editor
- Document editor
- Charging: Fast battery charging, 50% in 36 min (Quick Charge 3.0)
- Fast wireless charging
- Battery Type & Capacity: Non-removable Li-Po 3300 mAh battery
Announcement & Availability Date
- Announced: October, 2018
- Availability: October 18, 2018
- Launched Price: $900